Thursday 31 March 2011

tenmoregirls artist profile : nikki majajas



Nikki Majajas talks to us about her process and what inspires her.
For tengirls tencolours, she is exploring the colour PINK.
For more info about her practice
go to nikki majajas' website

What materials inspire you?

Impossible to choose! Different concepts and intentions require different materials. As much as I admire the way other makers work with organic materials, I think my work often has a sense of artificiality, a look of having been manufactured and that's reflected in my use of materials: metal, plastic, paint, glass etc

What is your favorite tool in the workshop? Why?

It always comes back to the basics: jeweller's saw and needle files. These are the simplest & most essential tools for creating just about anything at the bench, probably used for a couple of thousand years by artisans throughout the history of time! No technology required, just your basic jeweller skills, they're the first tools you learn how to use & for me the most satisfying.

Where do you think your creativity comes from? (eg family? background? have you always wanted to be an artist/designer?)

Yes my family is all creative which is fabulous and inspiring. I'm basically a glutton, I have a passion for life & live for pleasure! So I feel driven to surround myself with beauty: gorgeous objects for the eyes, delicious food for my greedy appetite, travel for the soul & crazy & loving friends to make me happy. I guess I had no choice but to try & contribute to the world's cacophony of good stuff by becoming an artist.

What is your favorite colour?

When in doubt, think PINK!

Who inspires you?

People who live fearlessly & passionately with honesty & style, regardless of age, race, income or gender.
Check out www.advancedstyle.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment